06 January 2011

The Metropolitan Hat


My New Year's Hat! The pattern is a 1920's cloche called the Metropolitan Hat from Folkwear patterns. The fabric is an eggplant-purple (my favorite color!) medium weight cotton from Tessuti Melbourne. The little hummingbird is an antique ornament from l'ucello. She has so many beautiful things there in her little shop - it's like walking though the looking glass into a perfect vintage land! I feel like a 5-year old having to leave the playground when I leave her shop (can I stay longer, can I, can I....pleeeeze?). She now has incredible Sajou French sewing goodies and Sophie Digard pieces along with all her other beautiful ephemera.

Here are some side views of the hat:

BTW - my shirt is a Tarjay (plain old Target!) with lace from the Op Shop sewn onto the collar. Creative up-cycling! The sunnies were from Anthropologie on a trip to Los Angeles a few years ago.

I recently left a nasty comment on the BurdaStyle website for featuring fur and then realised that my little vintage hummingbird has real feathers. Oh well, I wear leather too.  I'm a hypocrite. We do what we can and feel guilty about the rest. Hopefully no little birdies suffered to make my hat beautiful. My lipstick and foundation is cruelty-free (Revlon and Australis)!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love the hummingbird - l'ucello is such a wonderful shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed you over from Sew Retro - and you have a fabulous blog (I have only been to Melb twice)
    I love your hat - and the hummingbird (even with real feathers) is just perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete