26 January 2013

Vintage A line Dress

This is my first finished project for a long while. It's from a 1960's pattern made with vintage Japanese cotton jacquard from The Dancing Queen fabrics in Fitzroy. I got lots of help from Lisa at Dancing Queen and some great tips from Stephanie and others in my once a month sewing group at Can Do Books in Hawthorn.  My neighbor also came over one day to help me with the darts...thanks Tina! That was the first time I have ever heard anyone say 'I love darts! I'll be right over to help'. This was definately a group effort! I learned lots about darts, had a major overlocker disaster and had to re-cut one of the back panels. I also discovered how to do a neckline interfacing and armhole bias binding. Lisa showed me the industry way to attach the interfacing to the zip...very tricky and impressive.  Mine is the one on the right, a little wonky on the inside but it looked great on the outside with a good press!
I found this tutorial very helpful with the armhole bias binding: http://modernquiltlove.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/applying-bias-tape-on-arm-and-neck-holes/

Happy sewing!