04 February 2011

Summer Vintage


A vintage-style handbag based on this version of the Estelle bag on the BurdaStyle website.  I made this a few weeks ago, so it doesn't really count as part of the Colette Spring Palette challenge (I may include it anyway!).

The fabric is from Kelani Fabric Obsession's beautiful on-line fabric store.  I was very chuffed (and hugely surprised) to hear that I was a winner in her Gallery Inspiration Competition a few months ago. I used my gift-certificate winnings to get this fabric for myself and purchased some fabric for a bag for my sister-in-law (below).

Pattern: Butterick B5505, view B

I have been looking for a pattern that would complement the mega-size flower scroll motif and be able to accommodate some 70's bamboo handles I scored from a vintage crochet bag (the bag was dirty and damaged beyond repair but I loved the handles). I ended up using the freely-downloadable Estelle Bag pattern and modifying it to suit the motif (see cutting board pic). There were a lot of great project photos of the Estelle bag, but I especially liked the one by valesparza that had circular handles attached by tabs and looser pleats.
Spot the seeds in old spice jars on the table? My two hobbies live all over my house.
I had to do some extra sewing to keep the handles from slipping around, so I decided to embellish. I used a running stitch with some mustard coloured embroidery thread from my stash close to the handles and the bag edge. Then I embroidered french knots on every other dot on the pattern in between.  My embroidery is a little wonky, but it's only noticeable up close, not when it's swinging from my arm (handles like this MAKE you swing your arms when you walk...or there's the hooked-over-the-crook-of-the-elbow 'I'm so posh' stance... hehehe).
 

2 comments:

  1. It looks great - I love the handles. Good job on the flower placement too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel, love this bag! Cool fabric!
    /Inger Carina

    ReplyDelete